Thursday, October 21

Birthday Cheesecake!

Cheesecake is one of the first baked goods I tried to make on my own. It was a white chocolate raspberry cheesecake. Thinking back on it, the recipe was quite ambitious for a very unexperienced baker. I was in high school and had barely made anything more than a boxed cake mix. But, I wanted what I wanted when I wanted it. And, since my mom wasn't going to make it for me, I had to do it.
Much to my mom's, and my, surprise, it turned out really, really good. I made two cheesecakes for my sister's baby shower, an apple toffee cheesecake and an espresso one. They also turned very good. I'm just really good at making cheesecake.
My husband loves cheesecake. More specifically, he loves Junior's Cheesecake. Junior's cheesecake is really good. Really good. If you have the money, it would be well worth it to buy one and have it shipped to you, but they're expensive.
Kevin's birthday was the 15th of October. He decided he wanted a Junior's cheesecake for his birthday cake. I asked him what kind and that I would go on Thursday and pick it up for him. He said that he'll pick it up on Thursday night while he is at work. He works in an upper level of Grand Central and there is a Junior's in their food court. He calls me on Thursday and tells me that you have to order a cheesecake at least 24 hours in advance. Oops. No problem, I'll make you one, honey.
There is a very uncertain pause on the other end of the phone. Then I realize I have never made my husband a cheesecake. In the 2 years we have been married, He's gotten no cheesecake from me. I try to reassure him, I'm really good at it, I promise. Reluctantly he agrees, but he sounds very very unsure of my cheesecake making abilities. I think I had talked myself up to much in the past, that he didn't think I was as good as I said I was.
"It will be better than Junior's!" That might have been shooting a little too far...
So I looked through my "Better Homes and Garden's New Baking Book" for my cheesecake recipe. This cook book, er, baking book is so wonderful. My mom actually bought it for me the Christmas I made that first cheesecake.
First, I made the crust. I was excited to get to use my Kitchen-Aid mixer and food processor on the same dish. I know I am a cooking dork. I put 24 graham cracker squares (not rectangles) in the processor with 1/3 cup of walnuts and let her rip. I chopped them till they were finely ground. Then I slowly poured in the melted butter. I took the mix and dumped it into a 9 in. round cake pan. Now, I don't have a spring-form pan, so if you're planning on taking out of the pan to put on display this is not a good idea. But, since we were just going to his mom's house to sing and have cake and ice cream, this was fine. I pressed the crust into the bottom and halfway up the sides, a measuring cup helped smooth it out very nice.
Next, I made the filling. You should let the 3 packages of cream cheese come to room temperature, they make it easier to mix with the other ingredients. I like to let the cream cheese, sugar, flour, vanilla, and lemon peel mix together at a high speed for about 10 minutes. I think it makes the cake lighter and a bit fluffier.

Then I mixed in the 2 eggs and 1 egg yolk. Don't over-beat your batter once you add the eggs. If you over-beat, it will add too much air and cause the cake to puff up and fall, making cracks. My cheesecake got cracks around the edges, I think because I filled the pan too full.
Then I poured the filling into the crust and put it into a 375 degree preheated oven. I am just noticing in these directions that it does say to put it in a shallow baking pan in the oven, but nothing about filling the pan halfway with water. I have never put my cheesecakes in a water bath. The always turn out good for me, but do what you like.
I baked it for about 40 minutes and let it cool for 15 minutes. I covered it in foil and when we got to Kevin's mom's house we put it in the freezer for an hour then put it in the fridge till time to sing Happy Birthday.
This cheesecake was so good. It was rich and fluffy.  I love graham cracker crust and this was exceptional. The walnuts added to the taste of the crust. Kevin even said it was better than Junior's cheesecake!!


He wanted cherries on it, and I was going to make that, too. But, the grocery store had no fresh or frozen cherries. So, we went with bought cherry pie filling.

Happy Birthday, Kevin!!






Here is the recipe I used:


  • 1 3/4 cups finely crushed graham crackers (24 squares)
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 3 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 cup milk

For crust, combine crushed crackers, walnuts, and cinnamon. Stir in butter. If desired reserve 1/4 cup of the crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom and about 2 inches up sides on an ungreased 8 or 9 inch springform pan. Set crust aside.
For filling, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, flour, vanilla, and lemon peel with an electric mixer until combined. Add the eggs and egg yolk all at once, beating on low speed until combined. Stir in milk.
Pour filling into crust-lined pan. If desired, sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Place in shallow baking pan in oven. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes for the 8-inch pan. 35 to 40 minutes for the 9-inch pan, or until center appears nearly set when gently shaken.
Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Loosen crust from sides of pan; cool 30 minutes more. Remove sides of pan; cool one hour. Cover and chill at least 4 hours.


Like I said, I don't have a spring form pan, so I just used a 9-inch cake pan and didn't do the loosen sides and stuff part of the last step.

No comments:

Followers