Thursday, September 30

Arroz con What-o?

Ingredients
My sister-in-law makes this really delicious rice. About a month ago, I called and she told me how she makes it. Kevin, my husband, says it's basically like spanish rice. Okay, that's fine, it just tastes really good. So I was thinking about what I could make for dinner and remembered the huge package of chicken thighs we had in the freezer.
As I thought about it, I wondered if I could make the spanish rice and cook the chicken with it, making some sort of rice & chicken thing. So I called Kevin and asked him what he thought. I usually run my ideas by him to see if they sound like they will be edible. He does have to eat it, too.
"Oh, like arroz con pollo?" he asked in a kind of smart mouth tone.
"Um, no. Like that Spanish rice with the chicken thighs." I said, just as smart.
"Arroz con pollo. Chicken with rice?"
"Oh...I guess so."
Arroz con pollo sounds so fancy. I mean, I know I'm K. Gourmet and all, but I'm not ready to get as gourmet as arroz con pollo sounds. And that's one of my husband's favorite dishes, I didn't want to mess it up. So, right off the bat, I was nervous.




I started off by browning the chicken. Since I was going to cook it with the uncooked rice I figured I should put some flavor into the chicken before I boiled it. I opened the chicken and seasoned the up side of the chicken with salt, pepper, and cumin (picture 1 & 2). I put the thighs in the skillet, season side down, and seasoned the other side.I browned both sides of the chicken thighs until the were a light golden brown (picture 3 & 4).


While I browned the chicken I heated about 1/4 cup of olive oil in a dutch oven.  When the oil got hot I added one onion, 2 tsp. of garlic powder, 3 tsp. of cumin, 1 tbsp. of salt, 2 tsp. of pepper, 2 packets of Sazón with Azafrán, and half of a 12 oz container of sofrito (picture 5). That should be done cooking and blooming the spices as the chicken gets browned. Add the chicken to the dutch oven. Then add one can of chicken broth. Wait till the broth starts to boil, then add the whole 16 oz. package of rice. Then add the second can of broth. My pot got really full after this, but try to get all the rice in the broth(pictures 6 & 7). I also added about half a can of water.  Let the liquid come to a boil. Then reduce the heat and cover the pot (picture 8). Let simmer, covered for about 45 minutes. Stir after about 20 minutes so the rice doesn't stick and burn at the bottom of the pot.


This dish is so good! The rice is yummy and the chicken is fall-off-the-bone delicious!





When I call Kevin to tell him how good a dish I just made is, now he asks me if it's K. Gourmet good. And then this dish he said I couldn't post because I used 2 Sazón packets. I just rolled my eyes and said of course I could! The Sazón with Azafrán is the Sazón with saffron in it, that's what turns the rice a slightly yellow tint. Here, in NYC, they sell the Sazón spices and sofrito in the regular grocery store. I know in the small town where I'm from in Missouri you have to go to a special Spanish grocery store to purchase it. It is worth it! You can also make your own spice blend or sofrito. I know there are tons of sofrito recipes out there.


So here is my recipe for my Arroz con Pollo:


Family pack of chicken thighs (about 10)
Salt
Pepper
2 tbsp. Cumin
1/4 cup olive oil
1 small onion
2 tsp. garlic powder
3 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. salt
2 tsp. pepper
2 packets of Sazón with Azafrán
6 oz. sofrito
2 14.5 oz. cans of chicken broth
1/2 can of water
16 oz. of white rice


Season both sides of chicken with salt, pepper, and 2 tbsp. of cumin and brown in a skillet. While chicken is browning, heat 1/4 cup of olive oil in a dutch oven. Add the small onion, garlic powder, 3 tbsp. of cumin, 1 tbsp. of salt, 2 tsp. of pepper, 2 seasoning packets, and sofrito. Cook until chicken is browned. Add chicken to dutch oven. Add one can of broth. Let broth and chicken come to a boil. Add rice. Add second can of broth. Stir slightly so all rice is in broth. Let mixture come to a boil again. Reduce heat and cover. Let simmer, covered for 45 minutes, or until rice is tender. Stir occasionally.

No comments:

Followers