Monday, September 20

Holy Crepes!

I made the chocolate strawberry Nutella crepes today. I meant for them to be for breakfast, but they ended up being our lunch dessert. They were delicious. I made the batter last night and put it in the fridge over night because in the comments it said the Alton Brown said the batter would be better that way. Alton Brown is the chef to listen to, for sure.





Now I mixed all these ingredients and covered it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge over night. I mixed it by hand with a whisk because I didn't want to over mix it. I also didn't feel like washing my mixer bowl last night. I thought that shot of me whisking the batter was a pretty good action shot.

I woke up around noon-ish and didn't start making the crepes until about 2.  Kevin and I went for a drive and he ran into the parking garage wall...it was pretty funny.


I used a ladle to pour the batter in the pan because that just seemed easier, and it was. I also figured out that swirling the pan makes for a better crepe than trying to spread the batter out with the ladle. I only sprayed my pan once with cooking spray at the beginning. Since it was a nonstick pan, the crepes lifted easily. I totally messed up the first one and forgot to take a picture of it. Kevin and I ate it and were a little worried, it didn't exactly taste right.

But, I was determined to finish the crepes and THEN see how they tasted.  So I used all the batter and made 12 crepes.  I had also decided to make my own whipped cream.


That was a delicious idea!
After this I needed to wash and cut my strawberries. This part was pretty simple.
 Then I was super excited. It was time to assemble the chocolate Nutella strawberry crepes.


Only one really fit on the plate, but that was okay because one was definitely filling. The second one I made, I did change up the order in which I layered the ingredients. First time I went: Nutella, whipped cream, strawberries. The second time I went: Nutella, strawberries, whipped cream. The second layer order was much better for some reason. Then I just had to add the decorations.


They really really were as good as they look. They weren't hard, just a lot of steps. Crepes are kind of annoying to make at home, you can only make one at a time and they're not the easiest thing to flip. Oh, and the other sweet ingredients made the crepe taste not so "not sweet" as we had originally thought when we tasted the first mess up.

So all in all, I'm glad I made them once but probably will not be attempting them again for a while. Luckily we had a lot of crepes left over. I put them in a ziplock in the freezer so I could have them later this week.


Kara's Adapted Chocolate Nutella Strawberry Crepe Recipe




  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 tsp. oil
  • 1 pt. strawberries, sliced
  • whipped cream (recipe on above picture)
  • chocolate syrup, for drizzling
  • chocolate chips, for sprinkling
Directions:
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, milk, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, eggs and oil until smooth.  (You can also do this with an electric mixer.)
Heat a large nonstick pan on medium-low heat, and grease with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup crepe mixture into pan, immediately the pan so that the batter spreads out thin into a large circle. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until bottom of crepe is light golden brown. Flip; cook 30 seconds to 1 minute or until light golden brown. Repeat with remaining cooking spray and crepe mixture.
To serve, spoon Nutella into center of each crepe and spread. Top with sliced strawberries, then spoon and spread whipped cream.  Fold each edge of crepe over filling. Drizzle with chocolate syrup and any additional toppings.  Serve warm.
(This batter will also keep in the refrigerator for up to a day.)

No comments:

Followers