Saturday, September 25

This kitchen is open all night.

The schedule at our house is kind of off to begin with. Kevin works nights doing IT work at an investment bank. He goes in around 2 or 3 p.m., Mon.-Fri. and is supposed to get off at 1 a.m., but usually walks in the door around 2 or 3 a.m. Now, sometimes I cook dinner and sometimes I don't because he get $27 each night to order food and I can just PB&J-it up. He's not always hungry when he gets home but he'll always eat if I made something.

Since starting K. Gourmet, I have been cooking a lot more just in general so that I will have more content for a cooking blog. If I had time stamps on the photos, you would find me cooking food at 11 p.m., 12 a.m., and sometimes 1 in the morning. I'm awake for a normal amount of hours, just not normal times. I'm pretty used to it by now.

Well, last night I decided since it was Friday, I'd make a really good dinner for Kevin.I had put a rack of ribs in the fridge the night before to thaw out. I got them out and started to make my dry rub. I made this dry rub up. It's really simple but, really really good. I'm weird about meat still on the bone (mostly chicken) so I rarely eat every single drop of meat of a bone. Last time I made these I literally licked the bone clean.  There was no meat left for Kevin to finish up. This rub is so good! This rub is proof to me that this is what I should be doing forever. Seriously, I made this rub up!

So here is the recipe:

1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt


Mix all spices together. Good for 5-6 lbs. of ribs. Massage 1/2 of rub mixture into the top of ribs. Turn over and do the same with 1/2 of the left over rub. Turn back over and spread on the rest of the mix. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Let ribs sit for 15 minutes before putting in the oven. After 15 minutes, put the ribs in the oven for 2 hours at 250 degrees. After 2 hours, turn the heat up to 400 degrees. Leave in for another 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.




In anticipation of Kevin getting home around 1:30, I made the ribs and and let them rest so I'd have them be in the oven by 11:45 and be out by 1:45 and we'd eat, watch T.V. and go to bed. Sounded like a great night. Kevin came home around 1:15, almost as planned. I told him the ribs wouldn't be done until around 2, but didn't they smell good? He looked in the kitchen and asked me if I knew they were still on the stove.
"What?" I asked, looking at him like he was so dumb. "No, I put them in the oven like an hour ago."
"No, you didn't. They're on top of the stove."
I ran into the kitchen and saw the ribs sitting nicely right on top of the stove. Crap. I put them in the oven right away. When I left them to let the rub soak in, I totally for got about them while I was on the computer. The smell was the hot oven slightly heating up the pan they were in from underneath. So, they didn't really get into the oven until 1:20 which meant they didn't finish cooking till 3:50. I guess I could have covered them and put them in the fridge until today, but I didn't think of that.
I had also decided to make mashed potatoes with the rest of our potatoes. I had been this video on my friend's blog and really wanted to try it.


How To Peel a Potato in 10 Seconds on Howcast


It looked pretty easy and it worked really well. It took a little longer than 10 seconds, though. Now here is how I put together my mashed potatoes:



Ingredients:
  • 7 peeled & boiled potatoes (Idaho, Russet, New, doesn't matter, this is just what I had in the fridge)
  • 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 5 Tbsp butter
  • Salt &Pepper to taste

I put all ingredients into a bowl at one time and mixed until smooth with my hand mixer. I tasted the potatoes and added salt and pepper until they tasted good. I also don't always use heavy cream. I use what ever I have on hand: Milk, half & half, heavy cream. Sometimes I also put a few tablespoons of sour cream in there.

My family loves mashed potatoes. My mom would often make at least 1 pound of them for Thanksgiving and Christmas. When you're making this much you can add a block of cream cheese in there, too. It makes them very creamy and really good.

No comments:

Followers